This position is available on multiple campuses.
The Advocacy Coordinator is an integral part of the local campus team, whose primary focus is on the advocacy initiatives of Hillel’s student leaders. The Advocacy Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating and implementing Hillel Ontario's advocacy strategy on a local campus level and play an integral role in managing, both proactively and reactively, advocacy-related issues on campus. The Advocacy Coordinator will cultivate relationships with Jewish and non-Jewish student leadership in pursuit of Hillel’s advocacy objectives.
- Create and execute a proactive advocacy strategy for the local Hillel, identifying specific goals and measurable objectives, in partnership with the Campus Director, and with support from Hillel Ontario’s Associate Director of Advocacy.
- Work collaboratively with the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA), Hillel’s primary advocacy partner.
- Collaborate with other Jewish and/or Israel advocacy organizations on and off campus to further Hillel’s strategic advocacy objectives and strengthen organizational relationships.
- Provide support to Jewish and non-Jewish students affiliated with Hillel in pursuit of their advocacy interests, including working with them on their political advocacy interests, such as student political campaigns and referendums.
- Prepare for, and respond effectively and strategically, to anti-Israel/anti-Semitic incidents on campus in collaboration with the Campus Director and Associate Director of Advocacy.
- Assist with the creation and implementation of strategic campaigns to advance advocacy objectives.
- Cultivate student leadership and mobilize students towards advocacy objectives on and off campus.
- Take initiative and seek opportunities to advance Hillel’s advocacy strategy on campus.
- Be able to regularly report on anti-Israel and anti-Semitic activities on campus as requested.
- Work closely with CJPAC Fellows & CIJA Interns on campus.
- With support from Associate Director of Advocacy, prepare program grant proposals and reports for CIJA.
- Engage Jewish and non-Jewish students interested in advocacy and build strategic relationships with various stakeholders and clubs on campus.
- Be an integral part of the Hillel campus team.
What You Will Do Well:
- Have strong interpersonal skills and the desire to work in a collaborative, team environment.
- Multi-task and troubleshoot effectively.
- Have knowledge and experience with network management and social networking processes .
- Energy, versatility, flexibility and maturity.
- Build effective and meaningful relationships with staff, university students, and community members.
- Enjoy community organizing, campaigning and programming.
- Maintain clear thinking and calm during times of crisis.
- Undergraduate degree preferred.
- Demonstrated involvement in student government, political organizing or active engagement in campus life in university, with an understanding and appreciation for campus dynamics.
- Ability to take initiative and collaborate with multiple team members.
- Sophisticated written and verbal communication skills.
What You’ll Receive:
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $35,000-40,000 commensurate with experience.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
About Hillel Ontario:
Hillel Ontario serves approximately 13,500 Jewish students across nine universities, and is the largest regional Hillel system in the world. A model for the Hillel movement, Hillel Ontario was created on October 1, 2015 and strives to inspire every Jewish student in Ontario to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel.
As part of its recently completed Strategic Plan (available for review upon request), Hillel Ontario is in the process of expanding its campus-based resources to include multiple on campus advocacy professionals that can support the local Hillel team in achieving Hillel Ontario and CIJA’s shared objectives. To that end, Hillel Ontario’s advocacy goal is to enhance the quality of Jewish student life by advancing the public interests of Jewish students on campus. This includes maintaining strategic external relationships, as well as building and cultivating new ones, while also monitoring and responding to a variety of issues relating to Jewish student life. This also includes partnering with, and offering support to the broader student community relative to issues of shared values and interest.